Thomas C. Carey
Partner, Chair of Business Practice
(P) 617-443-9292, ext 259
Yale University, A.B.
State University of New York at Buffalo, J.D.
Thomas C. Carey
Thomas Carey’s clients rely on his judgment and expertise in strategic matters, particularly those involving capital-raising, licensing, mergers and acquisitions and tax planning. He advises start-ups and established companies in outsourcing, joint ventures, corporate governance and FDA compliance matters.
- Advises software companies involved in government contracting, including DFARs and ITAR matters.
- Advises inventors and researchers negotiating with universities and research institutions.
- Serves as general counsel to numerous privately-held technology companies, providing advice on executive retention, stock option plans, tax planning and strategic contracting.
- Advises clients regarding privacy laws and regulations, including the GDPR.
- Advises inventors regarding tax treatment of patent sales and licenses.
- Negotiates patent licenses for medical devices, novel drug compounds, business methods and other technologies.
- Advised a co-founder of a natural foods company in connection with management turmoil leading to a successful restructuring, equity infusion, and ultimate sale of business.
- Assisted clients in formation of affiliated entities in Europe, Asia and Australia.
- Provided legal counsel in numerous M&A transactions.
- Managed project development and finance transactions involving major real estate parcels, marinas, landfills and other special-purpose developments.
- Assisted a small biotech company in its first major capital-raising efforts, an SEC registration, and subsequent SEC compliance efforts.
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Intellectual Property Association
- American Bar Association, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Adjunct professor, New England School of Law.
- Yale Club of Boston.
*The Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Icon is a service mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under permission from Reed Elsevier Properties Inc. in accord with the terms and conditions established by Martindale-Hubbell.