Partner, Chair of Business Practice
(P) 617-443-9292, ext 259
Yale University, A.B.
State University of New York at Buffalo, J.D.
Thomas C. Carey
Thomas Carey’s clients rely on his judgment and expertise in strategic matters, particularly those involving capital-raising, licensing, mergers and acquisitions and tax planning. He advises start-ups and established companies in outsourcing, joint ventures, corporate governance and FDA compliance matters.
- Assisted a small biotech company in its first major capital-raising efforts, an SEC registration, and subsequent SEC compliance efforts.
- Advised a co-founder of a natural foods company that was achieving national prominence but suffering from severe internal division. Managed departure of the other co-founder, equity infusion for growth of business, and ultimate sale of business to a private equity fund.
- Advised founder of a global relocation company in participation in a roll-up into a major outsourcing company, and the repurchase of the business when the roll-up faltered.
- Serve as general counsel to numerous privately-held technology companies, providing advice on executive retention, stock option plans, tax planning and strategic contracting.
- Provided legal counsel in numerous purchases and sales of businesses.
- Negotiates numerous patent licenses (both inbound and outbound) involving medical devices, novel drug compounds, business methods and other technologies.
- Managed project development and finance transactions involving major real estate parcels, marinas, landfills and other special-purpose developments.
Professional and Community Involvement
- The Licensing Executives Society
- American Intellectual Property Association
- American Bar Association, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Board of Directors, The Boston Camerata
*The Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Icon is a service mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under permission from Reed Elsevier Properties Inc. in accord with the terms and conditions established by Martindale-Hubbell.