Peter J. Karol
(P) 617-443-9292, ext 326
Amherst College, Amherst, MA
B.A., 1999, English, Magna Cum Laude
Harvard Law School,Cambridge, MA
J.D., 2004, Cum Laude
Peter J. Karol
Peter Karol is Of Counsel with Sunstein and Professor of Law and Director of the Intellectual Property Concentration at New England Law | Boston. He has spent over fifteen years with the Sunstein law firm, where he was formerly a partner of the firm prior to joining the faculty at the law school.
Peter continues to counsel clients on all aspects of patent, trademark and copyright litigation matters, as well as trademark and copyright portfolio development. He is experienced in all aspects of intellectual property practice, ranging from federal court litigation to proceedings before the USPTO’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, as well as brand and creative management and licensing. His practice has also included representation of art museums, galleries and contemporary artists.
As a scholar, Peter has written award-winning articles concerning a wide range of aspects of U.S. trademark and copyright law. He presents to a range of audiences and makes regular media appearances on all manner of intellectual property topics.
- Peter has managed the portfolios of leading global brands, including: world-renowned universities, vineyards and wineries, sports equipment and clothing companies, investment, commercial and retail banks, and clean energy firms.
- Peter has handled and had significant involvement in numerous complex trademark, patent and copyright litigations covering a wide range of industries and technologies, including, for example:
- Wines and spirits
- Golf equipment
- Land line and voice-over-internet protocols
- Mobile phone interfaces
- Amphibious site-seeing tours
- Energy efficiency software
- Higher education
- Peter repeatedly co-chaired the Trademark Scholarship Symposium of the International Trademark Association, the flagship academic event of INTA’s Annual Meeting.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member of the International Trademark Association, Boston Bar Association, Boston IP American Inn of Court, Boston Patent Law Association, and College Art Association
- Justice of the Peace of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Bar and Court Admissions
Peter is admitted to practice in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.
- Peter’s law review article concerning service marks was judged one of the best law review articles of the year related to IP Law and selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of the Intellectual Property Law Review, an anthology published annually by Thomson Reuters (West).
- Named as a “Rising Star” in 2007, 2009-2012 by the publishers of Law and Politics and Boston magazine.