IP Update, January 2019
- Companies may not be restricted from using a competitor’s trade name as a keyword that enables a consumer to find their advertising on the web, says the FTC. More. . .
- Copyright law continues to throw up hurdles for those who would resell digital music. An effort to create a secondary market in downloads has been found wanting. More. . .
- New legislation refreshes copyright law for our music-streaming world, facilitating blanket licenses and streamlining royalty obligations. More. . .
- Two recent decisions illustrate the Federal Circuit’s ongoing expansiveness in finding software inventions patent-eligible. More. . .
- Proposed guidelines for PTO examiners would reflect the Federal Circuit’s growing liberality regarding patent eligibility. More. . .
- New guidelines spell out key considerations for examination of patent applications directed to computer-related inventions. More. . .
- A revision of Canada’s trademark law introduces changes you should know about. More. . .