IP Update, April 2016
- How much control can a patent owner retain over the use or resale of a product covered by his patent? The Federal Circuit’s answer raises shades of the first-sale doctrine under copyright law. More. . .
- Will patent holders ever catch a break in defending against validity challenges in the patent office? Apparently not: Recent decisions give challengers a second bite at the apple–in federal court. More. . .
- The patent office and the federal courts interpret patent claims according to different standards. The Federal Circuit harmonizes the disparity, but the Supreme Court may soon take a different view. More. . .
- These are the high points of the new trademark regulations that the European Union has just put into effect. More. . .
- Any U.S. company that receives personal data from EU businesses should know about the demanding new Privacy Shield rules. More. . .