Kerry L. Timbers
(P) 617-443-9292, ext 223
University of Missouri, B.A. with honors, magna cum laude
Harvard Law School, J.D.
Kerry L. Timbers
Kerry Timbers has extensive experience trying complex patent litigations in a variety of industries including the life sciences, technology, and consumer oriented products. His trial background includes jury and non-jury cases, and arguments before the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. His expertise includes participating in complex interference proceedings and inter partes reviews (IPRs) before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Kerry has been named to the Best Lawyers in America©, 2016-2018 lists. He was selected by his peers in the field of Litigation – Intellectual Property. Kerry is the Managing Partner of Sunstein Kann Murphy & Timbers.
- Kerry has handled and had significant involvement in numerous complex patent litigations covering a wide range of technologies, including, for example:
- computer operating system architectures
- land-line, cell-phone and VOIP telephony systems and devices
- medical diagnostic devices
- medical devices used in surgery and treatment
- electromechanical devices
- x-ray inspection systems
- consumer-oriented products, especially plastics products and plastics manufacturing processes
- Recent and current representative cases include:
- Exergen Corporation v. Kaz USA, Inc., United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts. Sunstein obtained a verdict of $14.6 million after a two-week jury trial for infringement of Exergen’s patents for temporal artery thermometers. The jury found infringement and confirmed the validity of every one of the twelve asserted patent claims, and awarded both lost profits and a reasonable royalty.
- ClassCo, Inc. v. Kyocera Int’l, Inc. et al., United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts (settled, representing defendants Pantech Company, Inc. and Pantech Wireless, Inc.. against patents for cell phone technology)
- Boston Scientific Corporation v. Cook, Inc. et al., United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts (ongoing, representing defendant Taewoong Medical Co., Ltd., against patents for endoscopic stents and stent delivery systems)
- Softspikes, LLC et al. v. MacNeill Engineering Company, Inc.
Trisport, Ltd. et al. v. MacNeill Engineering Company, Inc. et al.
United States District Court for the District of Delaware (settled after favorable Markman ruling; represented MacNeill Engineering in two suits involving 3 MacNeill patents and defending against 5 other patents, concerning golf cleats and receptacles)
- Kerry also has extensive experience in all aspects of trademark and copyright protection and litigation, representing nationally recognized firms in courts and before the Patent and Trademark Office and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Kerry also has significant involvement in shaping and implementing strategies for the protection, licensing, and enforcement of clients’ trademark portfolios.
Professional and Community Involvement
- He is a member of the Boston Bar Association, and has been Co-Chair of the Boston Bar Association Intellectual Property Litigation Committee, and the Co-Chair of the Boston Bar Association International Intellectual Property Law Committee.
- He is also a member of the Boston Patent Law Association, the American Intellectual Property Law Association and the International Trademark Association, and is a Master in the Boston IP American Inn of Court.
- He is a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America.
- Kerry has been named to the Best Lawyers in America©, 2016-2019 lists. He was selected by his peers in the field of Litigation – Intellectual Property.
- Kerry has received the highest peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell, based on a survey of other lawyers and judges in the community.
- Kerry was named to the 2014 -2017 New England Super Lawyers Top 100 List, a listing of 100 lawyers who received the highest point totals in the Massachusetts nomination, research and blue ribbon review process.
- Kerry was named to the Super Lawyers® list in the practice area of intellectual property litigation 2004-2017 in Massachusetts, a list limited to the top 5 percent of attorneys in each region. The attorneys featured in Super Lawyers were selected by their peers in an extensive nomination and polling process conducted by the research team at Super Lawyers, a service of Thomson Reuters and seen in a special advertising section in Boston magazine.
Bar and Court Admissions
- He is admitted to the Massachusetts Bar, as well as the Bars for the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First, Fourth and Federal Circuits and the U.S. District Courts in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Colorado, the Eastern District of Wisconsin and the Eastern District of Texas.
*The Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Icon is a service mark of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used under permission from Reed Elsevier Properties Inc. in accord with the terms and conditions established by Martindale-Hubbell.