Dorothy Wu Chiang
(P) 617-443-9292, ext 246
Princeton University, B.S., Electrical Engineering, cum laude.
Boston College Law School, J.D.
Dorothy Wu Chiang
As Counsel at Sunstein, Ms. Chiang concentrates her practice in strategic patent portfolio development, product clearance, opinions, and post-grant proceedings before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. Her clients range from start-ups and premier academic institutions to mid-sized and multinational companies.
- Ms. Chiang regularly develops and manages patent portfolios for high technology companies. Her counsel assists clients in refining their business and technological positions in the marketplace, and she has created assets that increase the valuation of companies before prospective investors and attract the interest of patent investment firms. As part of her practice, she advises companies on offensive and defensive measures against competitor products and patent portfolios.
- Her technical versatility enables her to represent clients in areas such as electrical systems and electronics, high performance computing, computer hardware and software, augmented reality, desalination systems, robotics, orthotics, navigation systems, Internet technologies, image and video processing, data storage systems, and photovoltaics.
- Before entering private practice, Ms. Chiang served as a patent examiner at the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, experience that she relies on to maneuver applications to allowance as issued patents.
- Ms. Chiang also represents companies, both patent owners and opponents, in inter partes reviews before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), and she has litigated appeals in these proceedings before the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association and the Boston Patent Law Association
- Member of the Princeton Association of New England
- Ms. Chiang was named to the Rising Stars list in the practice area of Intellectual Property in 2015-2017 in Massachusetts, a list limited to 2.5% of the outstanding emerging lawyers in the state who are age 40 and under, or have been practicing 10 years or less. The attorneys featured in Rising Stars were selected by their peers in an extensive nomination and polling process conducted by the research team at Super Lawyers, a service of Thomson Reuters and seen in a special advertising section in Boston magazine.
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (pending)
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts